11/04/2008

Anarchy...?

We’re here on the “most historic day in all of history.” That’s right, the 2008 election is upon us and as I write this (at about 9:40 pm, ET), Barack Obama holds an estimated 200-90 lead in the race to win 270 electoral votes.

I don’t want to be a naysayer, and believe me when I tell you I’m as disgusted with the current administration as anyone, but I just can’t believe all this “change” can happen on the back of one man. To me, Washington is an aircraft carrier: It’s not going to turn on a dime. This is a well-entrenched bureaucracy and it’s going to take time and a lot of work to reverse course. It’s not going to happen overnight and I hope people can understand that.

Something else that shocked me today was when I heard that police in some states are standing by in case of unrest. “Some worry that if Barack Obama loses and there is suspicion of foul play in the election, violence could ensue in cities with large black populations,” according to an article in The Hill.

WTF?

Almost as shocking are the comments posted on some sites in response to that news. I'm not even going to repost those, most of them are so ignorant.

The culmination of all these events has had an old song running through my mind today. Of course it doesn’t really mean anything in our current context (yet), but the idea is there.

Anarchy in the UK.mp3 ~ Sex Pistols, from Never Mind the Bollocks
Anarchy in the UK.mp3 ~ Sex Pistols, Denmark Street demo, July 1976
Anarchy in the UK.mp3 ~ Sex Pistols, from The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle
Anarchy in the UK.mp3 ~ Sex Pistols, from Filthy Lucre Live
Anarchy in the UK.mp3 ~ Megadeth
Anarchy in the UK.mp3 ~ Motley Crue
Anarchy in the UK.mp3 ~ Billy Childish
Anarchy in the UK.mp3 ~ Daniel Cirera
Anarchy in the UK.mp3 ~ SKAndalous Allstars
L’Anarchie Pour Le UK.mp3 ~ Jerzimy, from The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:39 PM , Blogger a Tart said...

you know i'm a sucker for a good cover song, so thanks a mil hun! BUT, i'm so glad to see you proved wrong on this one, to see him elected even if it doesn't mean a whole lotta change because it does mean that for even a brief time a whole lotta people who never got involved before, who never felt represented before now have a moment in history that is really truly theirs,... and ours. No, we can't turn this aircraft carrier around on a dime but we can say to the world that this country is not the one that some narrow minded folk in power wanted to portray us as. xoxoxo

 
At 8:11 PM , Blogger aikin said...

thanks tart! Don't get me wrong, I wanted to see Obama elected, I just think a lot of people might be expecting miracles overnight. Sort of like on South Park this week: "Wooo! Change!"
lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home